Sunday, May 24, 2009

Need a Good Shot of the Atlanta Skyline?

Last night I went to a friend's party over in Vinings. It was a fun night because 1) I have some great friends, 2) we had a great time talking and catching up and 3) I had to find the place first!

I have had to become more adventurous while at college, especially after getting a car, and I enjoy the occasional adventure, even when it takes me around/into Atlanta's heart. It took four tries to get to the correct community (there were three gated entrances), but I eventually made it in.

One thing that surprised me was the surreal view of Atlanta that I got a glimpse of in my rear-view mirror. Atlanta was just sitting there, a cluster of towers rising up from the ground. I'm not sure at the moment if it was Buckhead or Downtown that I actually saw, but it was amazing anyway.

Looking at the hard facts, Wolfram Alpha says that Atlanta is 1,050 ft. and Vinings is 915 ft. So, it doesn't make sense that you could get such a great view of the city when you're lower than it...but however the facts come out, the view is still there!

Of course, when I look it up on Google Maps' "driving view" to show you, the weather is cloudy and hazy! The last time I took a good shot of the city, I was in a Cessna 172P looking east from the tail of the plane, but it was getting dark and the city was almost too hazy for a good shot...and I was behind an old scratched-up window.

So, today's lesson: if you ever need a photo of Atlanta, you know where to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment